So this has been pretty cool. I’ve really been enjoying Matthew. Megan- you should do this with me. John H.- are you with me?
Just a few verses that impacted me today…
1. Matthew 13:22”Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. 23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understandsit, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”
I want my heart to be good ground. I don’t want to be one of those people who gets so used to hearing the Word of God that it doesn’t affect me any more. I want it to change me.
2. Matthew 14:1-2 “At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the report about Jesus2 and said to his servants, “This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him.”
Isn’t it interesting that the only explanation that Herod could come up with for what he saw in Jesus was a supernatural one…
3. Matthew16:4 “A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed.”
Why was it wicked for them to “seek after a sign”? I believe it was because to require a sign demonstrates a lack of faith. Those who say “seeing is believing” demonstrate a lack of faith. We ought to be people who take God at his Word. “Blessed are they which don’t see and believe.”
4. Matthew 16:18 “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.”
God working through the body of Jesus Christ- the church- is the hope for the world. Notice the church in the offensive position.
5. Matthew 22:37-40- “Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And thesecond is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
One of the most important verses in the Bible- God’s called us to love Him and love those around us!