So about a year ago I broke down and got a Kindle 2 e-reader from Amazon. I know this is a hot item right now and so I wanted to write about it for anyone considering getting an e-reader for themselves or a loved one for Christmas. So- Why do I love using my Kindle?
In no particular order…
1. Accessiblity/Convenience. Get books whenever and wherever I want. Free 3g connection means I can download books from anywhere in the US through Sprints wireless network at no additional cost.
2. Ubiquity. I always have my books on me so I’m reading more. Amazon makes my books available to me not only on my Kindle but also on my laptop, ipod touch/iphone also for free. This means I can read on my iphone in the waiting room of the doctors office and then come home and pick up where I left off on my kindle.
3. Blogs, Blogs, Blogs! Recently I’ve discovered that I can access my google reader account through the basic web feature. This means I can read the blogs I subscribe to through reader on my device anywhere I am.
4. Review what I’ve read in my browser Not only can I access all of the notes and highlights I make in a book on my device, I can also access them at https://kindle.amazon.com/. This means I can view a summary of all of the parts of a book that I marked as important allowing me to review it later.
5. Read then Share. I can tweet/facebook these same highlights which brings a social dimension to my reading. Other people can see and benefit (or scoff) from what I’m reading. This is a pretty new feature, and one that I’ve enjoyed recently
Amazon recently came out with the next generation of kindles and also slashed the price of them by $70-$100 (depending on if you choose the wi-fi only or wi-fi +3g model).
Leaders are readers. This device isn’t for everyone, but it may be something you could use.
You can listen and learn or you can live and learn. It’s your choice.
Pastor Bill Bales