Today is our last day in the Authentic Faith series, and I think it ends on a really cool note!
1 John 5:1-4
1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Pastor Ben’s Commentary:
So, how do you know that you are saved? How do you know that your faith is authentic? Have you ever wondered that? John is the author of the book that we are reading from today. In his gospel he wrote, “These are written that you may know that Jesus is the Christ…and that by believing you may have life through His name.” John thought it was very important that you know about Jesus, believe in Him, and have life through Him.
When we look at today’s verses we see 4 different evidences of whether we are saved:
1. Faith- “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God” This word “believeth” has the idea of a continuing acceptance and trust in Christ.
2. Love- ” and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God,” This speaks of loving God the Father (“him that begat”), love God the Son (Jesus Christ- “him also that is begotten of him”), and our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ (“children of God”).
3. Obedience- “and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.”
4. Victory- “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.” World here is not talking about they physical world, nor is it talking about all the people in the world (whom God loves). It is talking about the world system- influenced by the enemies of God to turn people from God and to themselves. It is defined in another part of scripture as the system that uses the “lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes” that are “not of the father, but of the world.” Someone that is in the faith is having victory over sin, and temptation in their life. They aren’t being defeated by it every time. It’s not that they are perfect, but that they aren’t always losing. 🙂
1. Do these 4 evidences get you saved, or do they display your salvation? Explain-
2. Why is it important to understand who Jesus is?
3. What does it mean to love God? What does that look like?
4. What does it mean to love “God’s children”? Who is that talking about? Why do you think that is important?
5. What do you think it means when the Bible says, “His commandments are not grevious?”
6. What do you think “victory” over the world looks like?