(24) Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:Matthew 1:24-25
(25) And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
Joseph stepped out in faith by exhibiting his obedience to the will of God through:
- Marrying a pregnant fiance.
- Forgoing sex until after she had the child.
- Naming the child Jesus, as he was told to do.
The name Jesus means “Jehovah saves” or “Yahweh saves”.
Joseph put his reputation on the line and his life to the task of taking care of the Son of God. By marrying her it made it possible to take Mary to Bethlehem. Christ was born in the city of David, in the line of David, just as the prophets predicted.
My task as a believer is not really any less clear. God has given me explicit instructions as to who I should be and what I should do. The key is to obey God by putting my faith and trust in Him. I need to be willing to be obedient even in situations when it is risky.
- Is there an area of obedience that may put your reputation on the line or may seem risky? How are you going to respond?
- Take some time to thank God for His gift of Jesus for you!