Reading- Genesis 3, 4
(7) And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
- The eating of the fruit had an immdeiate effect.
- They were ashamed of their nakedness.
- They wanted to hide themselves.
- They soewed fig leaves together to make aprons.
- Why did they feel like they were exposed?
- There was a shame to their nakedness.
(8) And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
- God came for fellowship.
- They hid themselves from God.
- Why? They had disobeyed Him.
- They knew He would address this problem. How did they know it?
(9) And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
- All of the questions that God asks here He knew the answers to, and was not looking for information.
- This was part of His revelation to mankind- starting with Adam and Eve.
(10) And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
(11) And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
(12) And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
- Adam blamed Eve (and God).
- Eve blamed the serpent.
- The cascade of sins that flowed from the first sin is amazing. Sin breeds sin.
- More sin.
God, help me to confess my sin instead of blaming others for it. Thank you for the redemption that is in Jesus Christ. Thank you for restoring my relationship with you and bridging the separation between us. Amen.