Today’s Reading- Genesis 8 and 9
(12) And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:Genesis 9:12-16
(13) I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
(14) And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
(15) And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
(16) And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
The rainbow is a visible sign of God’s promise to never destroy the earth by flood again. When God said, “and I will remember my covenant”, the word remember does not speak to the idea that God has the capacity to forget. What He is saying is that He will act consistently with his covenant promises and not go against them.
Our God is a covenant keeping God. He always keeps His promise. God promised not to destroy the earth with global flood again, but it does not mean judgement will never come. I believe we live in a time like Noah. Man’s heart is continually devising evil things. God’s judgement will come when they do not expect it in spite of repeated warnings. Jesus described this in Luke 17:26-30:
(26) And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.Luke 17:26-30
(27) They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
(28) Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
(29) But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
(30) Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
God always keeps His promises.
We must be like Noah, trusting God for His salvation, and declaring the offer of God’s salvation from coming judgement.
God, help me to have the chance to warn someone today. Please guard the thoughts of my heart from being evil. Amen.