Today’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 22
This week’s memory verse:
(20) He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;Romans 4:20
(7) And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
(8) And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
(14) And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.Genesis 22:7-8, 14
God calls on Abraham to do something that seems really irrational. God had promised that through Isaac nations would be born. He had promised that Abraham would be the father of these many nations, and that through these nations all the world would be blessed. Yet, God calls Abraham to take his son, Isaac, to Moriah and offer him as a burnt offering.
He gets up early and heads toward the mountain. Isaac, here in verse 7, asks Abraham where the lamb was for burnt offering. What an expression of faith that Abraham declared in verse 8! He believed that God would provide the lamb.
Of course, God did provide the lamb. It was caught in the thicket by its horns, therefore unblemished and an unmarred sacrifice. God provided the substitute. Abraham had shown that He believed God and would not withhold what was most precious to him from God. God’s gifts were not more important than God Himself.
So, Abraham named the place “Joehovajireh” which means God will see (to it). God sees and provides. God saw Abraham’s faith and provided a substitute.
What a beautiful and challening story. There are a few ways that it applies.
- Have I trusted in Christ? This is a picture of God’s substitutionary atonement found in Jesus Christ. John said about Jesus, “Behold the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world”. Have I acknowledged Jesus Christ as my substitute and trusted in Him for salvation?
- Am I willing to sacrifice what is most precious to me to be obedient to God?
- Am I more in love with the gifts from God than the God who has provided those gifts?
Without faith it is impossible to please God. Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commandments.” Lord, help me to depend on you, trust you, and obey you today.