20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.2 Peter 1:20-21
The Spirit wrote the word.
Peter writes in his second epistle that the Word of God is a more sure word than the experience they had on the mount of transfiguration. We have God’s Word that was written using men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit quite literally wrote a book, and now we have access to what he wrote. “Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”
The Spirit seals us after we respond to the word.
It is that same spirit that used the Word of God to save us and seal us unto the day of redemption.
(13) In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
(14) Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.Ephesians 1:13-14
When we hear the Gospel that was written down and declared unto us we are saved. When we are saved God gives us an earnest payment, an upfront payment of the inheritance that we will receive called the indwelling Holy Spirit. He gives it to us at salvation letting us know that more is on the way! One day
The Spirit sanctifies us by the word.
(8) For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:Ephesians 5:8
What a summary statement of the book of Ephesians! This is who you were- Darkness. This is who you now are in Christ- Light. Live like children of the light. How do you do that?
(9) (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)Ephesians 5:9
It’s not the fruit of your good behavior by trying really hard. It’s the fruit of the Spirit as you let submit to Him and to his Word on a daily basis. If you put God’s Word into your heart and mind, God’s Word will come out of your mouth, hands, and feet. When you live like that, you’ll be able to discern what to do in life, as He says in verse 10.
(10) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.Ephesians 5:10
The more you submit to the Spirit and let God’s Word indwell you, the more you will be able to prove what is acceptable to the Lord.
In Ephesians 5, God describes Christ’s reason for saving us. Why did he redeem a people for himself and put them in the assembly? The answer is given in verse 26 and 27.
(25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
(26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
(27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.Ephesians 5:25-26
How does Christ sanctify and cleanse us? By the “washing of water by the Word”. This is the result of being “filled with the Spirit”, and reading the “sword of the Spirit” which is the Word of God.
It is impossible to grow spiritually apart from the Word of God. It is impossible to have spiritual life apart from the Holy Spirit. It is impossible to have spiritual growth without the Spirit. The Sword of the Spirit in the hand, in the heart, and out of the mouth is God’s plan for saving the World and winning in this spiritual battle. Your health spiritually is directly related to your relationship with the Word of God.
Thank you, Lord, for the sword of the Spirit!