Thank you Orchard Church, Pastor Barri, and Kim for letting me come and spend a few days with you. Below is the worksheet I told you about as well as a link to The Chisel Video.
The way to transformation in my life is a renewed mind. The application of God’s truth will set me free.
- Thought Life
- Lie: I can’t help what I think about.
- Verse: Colossians 3:2-4
Set your affection (mind) on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
- Truth: We are commanded to think on eternal things.
- Consequence of sin
- Lie: There are no consequences to sin.
- Verse: James 1:15-16.
When lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren.
- Truth: Whenever there is a sin there is a death.
- Lie: The lie will make me look better. We think a lie will get me where I want to be.
- Verse: Colossians 3:9-10
9Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
- Truth: Lying goes against what God is doing in you. Lying is in direct conflict to renewal.
- We don’t think we can forgive, and we don’t think they deserve it. We think we’re letting them off the hook or that we think that what they did is ok.
- Verse: Ephesians 4:32.
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
- Truth: We can forgive and we should forgive because we’ve been forgiven.
- Lie: We think we’re something, and that we are more important than others.
- Verse: Jeremiah 9:23
Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.
- Truth: The only thing I should boast in is Christ.
- Lie: I don’t think I can change. It’s part of my genes. It’s part of my heritage.
- Verse: Romans 12:2
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Truth: My heritage and genes are a pattern of the World and God can change me by the renewing of my mind.
- Lie: I should be angry because they deserve it. I should extract revenge because they owe me.
- Verse: James 1:19-21
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
- Truth: Your anger and wrath never accomplishes God’s will for your life or anyone else.
- Lie: I can’t help what I say.
- Verse: Ephesians 4:29
29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
- Truth: I should let no unwholesome words come out of my mouth.
- Lie: My deal is more important than your deal.
- Verse: Philippians 3:2-4
3Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
- Truth: I must treat others as more important than myself.
- Lie: “As soon as ________, then I’ll have peace”
- Verse: Proverbs 30:8
8Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:s9 Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.s
- Truth: I should pray every day, “God give me what I can handle. No more, or no less.”
- Lie: If I don’t agree with the rule, then I don’t have to keep it. If I don’t like the authority, I don’t have to keep the rule.
- Verse: Romans 13:1-2
1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation
- Truth: All authority in my life has been ordained by God. To disobey authority is to disobey God unless that authority is pushing me to disobey God’s Word.
- Lie: Eveything I have I have because of me.
- Verse: Colossians 1:16- 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist
- James 1:17- 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- Truth: Everything I have is a gift from God and has been given into my stewardship.
- Lie: I can handle bad influences in my life.
- Verse: Proverbs 13:20
20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed
- Truth: The people you spend time with will influence the quality and direction of your life.