Today’s Scripture Reading- Genesis 29-30:24
This weeks Memory Verse:
(18) My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.1 John 3:18
(25) And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? did not I serve with thee for Rachel? wherefore then hast thou beguiled me?Genesis 29:25-29
(26) And Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn.
(27) Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.
(28) And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also.
(29) And Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah his handmaid to be her maid.
After working for His uncle, Laban, for seven years to get permission to marry Rachel, Jacob is deceived in a pretty remarkable kind of way. He woke up in the morning, and “behold, it was Leah”! Jacob, the supplanter, the deceiver, had been deceived. He was swindled and it cost him seven more years, and more heartache and difficulty.
A simple application to this story can be made by quoting Galatians 6:7.
(7) Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.Galatians 6:7
We will reap what we sow. It isn’t always immediate, but it is a principle found in God’s Word. If we want people to be true with us, we should be true with them.
Lord, please help me to sow good seed, and speak truth with my neighbor.