And be not conformed to this world:
One of the things that people get confused about in the Bible is how the term “world” is used. The term is used to describe 3 different things:
1. The Planet itself. God created this planet and he said that it is very good.
2. People. God created people and He loves people.
3. The World System.- Patterns of belief and thinking that only consider and desire the temporary over and above the eternal and spiritual.
Today’s text is talking about #3. There is a way that the “world” typically thinks about just about everything.
* Etc. Etc…
but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Don’t think about these kinds of things the way the world thinks about them! There is a process of transformation that happens when our mind is renewed. We stop believing the lies that the world tells us, and we replace the lies with the Truth that is found in God’s Word. As God repeats this process over and over in our lives we begin to be lead by Him to make the kinds of decisions that He would want us to make. Out with the old, and in with the new.
For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. (Romans 12:2, 3)
One of the problems we face in dealing with the old ways of thinking is that we believe that we’ll be the exception to the rule. We believe that we can think the way that the world thinks about things and then not suffer the same consequences that the world suffers for their wrong thinking. We think to highly of ourselves. God has a plan for us. He has revealed it to us in His Word.
So as you go through your day today think about these question:
* Where are my thoughts more like what the world says than what God says?
* What lies have I been believing?
* What is God’s Truth that should replace these lies?