(20) That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.Deuteronomy 30:20
In yesterday’s text, Deuteronomy 30:15-19, we saw clearly that Moses was pleading with the people to choose life over death, blessing over cursing. He pleaded with them to make that a lifestyle choice, and not just a one time decision. He was trying to make clear what would happen with either path. In verse 20, he tells them the purpose of this choice.
“…that thou mayest love the Lord thy God”– In choosing obedience and life, they were showing their love for God.
“…and that thous mayest obey his voice”– Obedience to God and love for God are always linked. Jesus said in John 14:15
(15) If ye love me, keep my commandments.John 14:15
“…and that thou mayest cleave unto him”– Obedience displays love, and love brings about intimacy. As we follow God’s path, He blesses us, and as we are blessed an intimacy with God grows.
“…for he is thy life, and the length of thy days”– God is their Creator and Sustainer. He is their One and only ultimate hope. It s truly the same for us.
“…that thou mayest dwell in the land…”– God told them that if they disobeyed they would be scattered, and that if they repented He would bring them back. This was exactly what happened. God is a promise keeping God. His desire for them was to be their in the promised land as a blessed and thriving people. This came with choosing life and choosing obedience.
We are not the children of Israel, but I can learn much about the character of God here. He is a promise keeping God. He desires obedience. He blesses obedience. Obedience is tied to my love for Him. He wants to have a relationship with me, and so I must maintain that relationship through knowing Him and His will in His Word. It is best for me to choose blessing and love as it is demonstrated by obedience to God.
- How is your love for the Lord?
- How is your obedience to the Lord?
- How is your faithfulness to the Lord?