Devotion for Saturday, October 1st
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us , and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1, 2)
On Sunday Pastor will be finishing his second message on patience. The Bible has a lot to say about patience. Hebrews 11 talks about all kinds of people who had faith and what they did to demonstrate that faith.
Today, instead of explaining everything I want you guys to think through what today’s passage means…
So here are a couple of questions:
1. What does this passage say about patience?
2. What do you think it means to “look to Jesus”?
3. What do you think it means that Jesus is the “author of our faith”?
4. What do you think it means that Jesus is the “finisher of our faith”?
5. How does “looking unto Jesus” help us to have patience?
6. How do you apply these verses?
15 thoughts on “Prep for Sunday”
I think tht the passage is saying about patience is tht he wants u to have patience to win a race. He wants u to go far with ur patience. When it says look to Jesus, I automatically think tht my heart will just go to him. Like when I’m in trouble tht I will turn to him for the answer for everything. I think it means when the bible says tht Jesus is the author of faith, it means to me tht god wrote everything about faith and tht he wants us to practice his faith in him. When it says jesus is the finisher of our faith, it probably means tht he wants to just help us understand his word and believe in wht he says!!! And I think tht this was amazing. It was challenging to me, but great! Hopefully I understood it. I think I did! Lol! 🙂 but great message can’t wait to hear tmrws!!!!! 🙂 love u guys! ❤
1) it says that we need 2 hv patience because Jesus is in control.
2) i think it means 2 look to him 4 everything tht happens.
3) i think it means tht he created our faith and he knows what its like.
4) im not sure about this one but i think it means tht we will run the race he has 4 us and we’ll do it just 4 him.
5) it helps us by knowing in ANY situation HE is in control and we need 2 look unto him.
6) u can apply these verses by looking 2 Jesus 4 paitence.also these verses r a reminder that when ANYTHING happens 2 us we need 2 remember we r NOT in control,HE is!!!!! 🙂
patience may be hard 2 hv but we need 2 look 2 him 4 tht and he’ll help u through it all!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂
see u guys tmrw!!! 🙂
1. This passage satsuma that you have to have faith and patience.
2. what I means to look up to Jesus is that Jesus is like kinda like your role modle like if you have a little brother or sister they would look up to you and do everything that you would do so looking up to good means like to make him our role modle.
3. I think it means that jesus is the author of our faith that mean that like he created our faith like our faith in him and to keep me eyes on him.
4. when jesus is finisher of my faith it means that he is the perfecter of our faith.
5. looking on to jesus helps us have patience because when you look up to him and he asked you for something he doesn’t give it to you right away it takes time for him so then he helps you more with your patience.
6. How I apply this verse like to my life?? OK if it’s how I apply these verses to mu life is that god becomes my roll modle and that I’m getting better at being patience I used to be bad at patience but I’m getting better at patience :).
Prey the first one it’s a typo it says*
Ignore the prey thing 🙂
When everything is going wrong and you think the best thing to do is scream, think again. As we go through our “race” of life there’s gonna be many trials. We cant do it alone. PATIENCE! my friend. we have to “look to Jesus” because he alone can help us. We need to place our trust in Him because He’s the “author of our faith”. He planned everything out, so what better thing can we do than to look to him for the answers? He knows it all, we dont. So why do we still try to do it ourselves?! We could avoid so much heartache if we just turned to Him. I’m not really sure what it means by “finisher of our faith” BUT you can apply this to your life by always turning to God for EVERYTHING! It’s sooo much easier than trying to do it all solo. God will always help you out.
*everything is so much easier when you look to Him for patience and help.
1. The passage says to “run with patience the race that is set before us” I think that means to be patient, obviously. But like the race that is set before us is life. So running with patience could mean just having patience in your normal everyday life!
2. I think looking to Jesus would mean that with whatever you do, like the decisions you make, you talk to Jesus about it first. Prayer seriously makes everything 10x better! Sometimes it may feel weird like “Pray to Jesus about everything?!” Yes!!! It helps soo much!
3. I really don’t know what the author of our faith means. But Jesus created faith, He died a horrible death just so we could have faith in him to save us!
4. The finisher of our faith, I’m kinda clueless about this one too.
5. I think looking to Jesus can give you a new perspective on things. It can give you time to think about things, cause I know when I have time to pray an think about things it really helps me have more patience and overall just make things better!
6. I think patience is definitely something I need more of! In our society everyone is used to getting everything now! I think being patient can sometimes be hard, because it’s not something we’re use to doing a lot! But these verses are very good! I’ll be helping in childrens church tomorrow, but I bet Pastors sermon will be great! 😀
awesome ur on again grace!!! 🙂
1. I think that these verses explain patience as being patient throughout our lives. It says to look to Jesus for our patience.
2. I think “look to Jesus” means that when we go thru hard times or problems, to go to Jesus with them. Like read His word, pray, and go to church. 🙂 it helps build our patience.
3. Jesus is the author of our faith means to me that He has written our lives, and knows everything thats going to happen. He created my faith, i didnt!! I just had to act on it!
4. I think Jesus is the finisher of our faith means that He made our faith, and when we die it ends our faith. But we have an eternity in Heaven with Him when he dies so techincally we’re never gonna be out of faith haha 🙂
5. Looking unto Jesus helps us grow our paytience because i know that whenever i start to question something, i pray to God and ask what do you want to show me from this. I dont automatically try fixing or change the situation, but i put it in God’s hands 🙂
6. I apply these verses by going thru everyday with an open heart & mind, and looking to Jesus instead of myself!
1. I love the analogy in verse one! “And let us run with patience the race that is set before us” I can just see this picture in my head. This is saying that we need to look ahead at the race in front of us, and instead of going at thinking, “What am I going to do?! I can’t do this..” look at it with a sense of patience and run the race of life knowing that with faith God will be here to cheer you on to complete this race, or life. That we can use patience to not get discouraged, but to be encouraged by the grace of God! I love that!
2. Looking to Jesus to me means, instead of turning to myself for the answers, or a friend to get us through the troubles, I know I can look to Jesus, and He will take me and put me in the right direction. Believing, and having faith that through Him, I can do all things!
3. First of all, we wouldn’t have anything called faith, if it weren’t for Jesus. Jesus was the author and creater of faith. He initiated it. When He died on the cross for our sins, those who saw it believed in Him, because of what they had seen, but those of us who have heard, believe because of faith in Him. We have faith that He exists, we have faith that he will be our guiding light, that even though times are hard now, because of Him, they’ll get better. Jesus was the author of faith.
4. Jesus is the finisher of our faith, because one day we will meet face to face with Him. We will be standing before Him in the gates of heaven. We will physically see Him! He is the “finisher of our faith” because we will be with Him for an eternity!
5. Looking unto Jesus always gives me patience. I’ve been so stressed out latley, and I’ve try dealing with it all on my own and I can’t. I turned to Jesus, and just by prayer He reassured me that I can do anything I put my mind and heart to. I can do anything for Him, and WITH Him! He resolves our stress, and fills us with patience and glory!
6. Patience isn’t something I have all the time for sure, and it’s something I need to work on. I can do this by praying to God the second I get discouraged or stressed and ask Him for patience. I can run this race, looking unto Jesus, seeking patience, and wisdom!
I actually used this today while I took the SAT. He pushed me all the way through. God is SO good! 🙂
1.) We should have patience because Jesus is in control.
2.) What I think it means is that we should ask our selfs what would Jesus do it we were put up to something.
3.) It means that Jesus is the one who made Faith. I think?!?!? IDK!
4.)This is kinda like number three If Jesus created Faith, he can take it away too.
5.) Looking unto Jesus helps us grow our paytience.
6.) I apply this to my life by going to Jesus insted of myself for help.
I hope I did good if I didn’t please let me know?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
kendra,u do good no matter what u put!! (unless if it was bad!hehe!) 🙂 🙂 🙂
Oh well that makes me feel better just with out the (unless if it was bad!hehe!) But thankyou Allie! 🙂
1. It says endure it like Jesus. Hard times will strengthen your patience, like some people.
2. Jesus is the ultimate example and I think it means when you’re going through hard times and feeling sorry for yourself remember what Jesus went through, for you.
3. Every thing is Father filtered and He does not create the problems but he may let them happen to you. We sometimes really dontworship God and talk as much ad we should and our relationship can take a turn in the wrong directions when things are good, but when things are bad that’s when we start looking up and realize we need God.
4. I think out means when we see Jesus we won’t have to believe that He exists because he will be right in front of us.
5. We can pray and ask for patience and he will provide.
6. When things are going good I need to praise Him and when things are looking bad I need to praise Him, no matter what I’m going through he is with me and will help me through.