If you didn’t grow up in church or have never worked in Children’s ministry in the last 50 years or so, then you won’t get what I’m about to ask. Have you ever wondered why Father Abraham had many sons, why many sons had Father Abraham? Have you ever wondered why you are one of them, and so am I? Oh well, Let’s just praise the Lord. Seriously though, does the Bible say that you and I are Abraham’s children? I’m not Jewish. How can that be? Check out today’s verses…
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. (7) Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. (8) And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. (9) So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
In verses 1-5 Paul appeals to the Galatians experience to help them understand that they are not made right with God by works but by faith. In today’s verses Paul appeals to scripture. The Legalists that were misleading the Galatians were misinterpreting the old testament using Abraham as an example. So Paul goes right to the Old Testament and talks about Abraham. He quotes Genesis 15:6, where Moses said that Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. The word translated “accounted” means to put into ones account, to impute. The idea is that it wasn’t Abraham’s works that made his account with God balance. It was Abraham’s faith in God that God noticed and to which God responded. Paul goes on to say that in God’s way of thinking it is not being in the lineage of Abraham physically that matters to God. When someone gets right with God the way that Abraham did, by faith, they are blessed in Abraham.
- We all have to be made right with God.
- The two options we have are to try to be right with God by doing things, or by believing God.
- God has made it clear that we are made right with Him by believing Him. We are made right with God by Faith. That is good news because anyone can have faith. We all put our faith in something.
- If you’ve never put your faith for your salvation in Jesus Christ, I have to tell you what the Bible says– that’s the only shot you have at being right with God.
- If you have put your faith in Christ, how about taking a moment today to thank God for this incredible gift?!