10 But all the congregation bade stone them with stones. And the glory of the Lord appeared in the tabernacle of the congregation before all the children of Israel.Numbers 14:10
The children of Israel did not buy into the speech that Joshua and Caelb gave. What they said was true, logical, life giving, and to be preferred. Yet fear is a powerful thing. Fear lead to rebellion. Rebellion lead to a desire to judge the messenger. Stoning was the penalty for being a false witness. These people were making a statement about Joshua and Caleb. They were denying that they were speaking God’s will. They had every intention of stoning Joshua and Caleb, but God protected them when the people of Israel saw his glory.
So here’s the progression:
- Joshua and Caleb spoke up for the Lord and for the people.
- Joshua and Caleb were judged by the people.
- Joshua and Caleb were about to be executed by the people.
- God stepped in for their protection.
No matter how logical and right one’s position may be, if fear grips the heart, or someones mind is set against you, they may seek to judge and to fight. God will protect His kids, but it may not always be in the way we want him to or in the timing that we desire. This is a sobering thought.
God knows what is best and it is good for us to trust Him. We must be courageous and stand up for what is right no matter the consequences.
- Are you right with the Lord?
- Are you fearful to stand up for what is right? Be courageous.