For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.Rom 10:13
There are some encouraging words in this verse.
- Whosoever. Whosoever means anyone. ANYONE! Old, young, rich, poor, male, female, sophisticated, unsophisticated, the addicted, the self-righteous and religious can all call on the name of the Lord to be saved. Whosoever!!!!
- Call. It just means to ask. We talk to God believing He hear’s us.
- Lord. Our faith is in a sure foundation.
- Shall. That’s promise language. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
- Saved. This describes a new destiny, a new position, and a new hope. We are saved from God’s wrath, from eternal damnation, and from the sting of death.
Praise God who promises to save all who call!
Whenever I think about this simple verse it reminds me of the thief on the cross. Do you remember the story?
And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. (40) But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? (41) And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. (42) And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. (43) And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.Luk 23:39-43
A few things strike me about this narrative:
- 1. He acknowledged his own guilt.
- 2. He acknowledged Jesus’ innocence.
- 3. He acknowledged Jesus as Lord.
- 4. He believed Jesus could save him as demonstrated in his calling on the Lord to save.
- 5. Jesus responded to his faith by assuring Him of life after death.
The only thing this man could offer Christ at that moment was his sincere faith. We are saved the same way. When we understand who Jesus is and ask him to save us, He promises that He will. It doesn’t matter who you are. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done. The promise is forgiveness. It is why Christ came, died and rose again.
- Call on the Lord to save you if you have not!
- Declare this to anyone who will listen.