Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.Proverbs 23:33-35
These verses are replete with the potential dangers of alcohol consumption. Here is the list.
- Bad relational and sexual decisions. “Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.”
- Danger because of bad decisions. “Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.”
- Fighting. “They have stricken me, shalt thou say”
- Hangover. “and I was not sick”
- Physical injury. “they have beaten me, and I felt it not”
- Lack of control. “when shall I awake?”
- Addiction. “I will seek it yet again.”
I know this is an unpopular position, but there is a strong case made here for avoiding alcohol altogether. Why would you want to invite any of this into your life?
Ephesians 5:17-21 gives an excellent alternative to being drunk with alcohol.
Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.Ephesians 5:17-21
Do not be controlled by alcohol. Look what it leads to! Instead, be controlled by the Holy spirit! When we are, it leads to worship, singing, thankfulness, and submission to others as unto the Lord. The end of all of this favor with God and our brothers and sisters. What a better alternative!
What is truly controlling you? Are you being filled with the Word of God and the Spirit of God or something else? Take some time to give yourself to the control of the Word of God today!