(14) I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.Luke 18:14
Which one is justified? Which prayer did God listen to and heed? According to Jesus the man who recognized his sin and sinful condition looking to God for mercy is the one who is justified. The one who thought he was good is the one who was not heard. Jesus puts this clearly in a principle: “every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth shall be exalted.”
How do we exalt ourselves?
- Failure to recognize sin.
- Inflating in our own mind the impact of our good deeds.
- Despising and putting down those around us.
These are issues that we all have wrestled with at one time or another. Jesus tells us that if this is our way of thinking, we will be abased. When we recognize our sin and glorify Jesus, we will be lifted.
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.James 4:6
- Are you exalting yourself in some way today?