Devotion for Saturday, August 27, 2011
Awesome Study in James starts tomorrow!
Make plans to be with us at church tomorrow as we start the book of James in Connectiong Group. God is going to use His Word to GROW us through this book so make plans to be there. Also, you’ll be introduced to your new table leaders and table groups at this time too. If you need a ride, let me know!
1. A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. 2. The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
Pastor Ben’s Commentary:
Weekends mean extra time at home around family. If your family is like mine, that means that at times there is more opportunity for us to disagree on things. Today, the book of Proverbs is going to give us a pretty cool strategy on what to do when you get into these kind of conversations.
Many of the proverbs in the Bible use contrast. They go like “Wise people do this, but foolish people do this.” It can be really helpful. There are two examples given here in today’s verses. Think through them by answering these questions…
1. What is a “soft answer”? What does the verse say they do? What does this mean?
2. What are “grevious words”? What does the verse say they do? What does this mean?
3. What kind of speech comes out of “the wise” person?
4. What kind of speech comes from the fool?
5. Do you think that they way we use are words is important? Why or why not?
6. How can this strategy in verse 1 help you? (Be Specific)