Today’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 25:19-34, 26
This week’s memory verse:
(20) He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
(20) He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;Romans 4:20
(9) And Abimelech called Isaac, and said, Behold, of a surety she is thy wife: and how saidst thou, She is my sister? And Isaac said unto him, Because I said, Lest I die for her.Genesis 26:9-11
(10) And Abimelech said, What is this thou hast done unto us? one of the people might lightly have lien with thy wife, and thou shouldest have brought guiltiness upon us.
(11) And Abimelech charged all his people, saying, He that toucheth this man or his wife shall surely be put to death.
There is an obedience in this passage in that God told Isaac where to travel and where not to travel, and reaffirmed his promise to Isaac and his desire for obedience from Isaac. He pointed to Abraham’s obedience as an example.
Their is also deceit in this passage. The context here is that Isaac had gone to dwell in a place called Gerar (v.6). He was asked about his wife, Rebekah. His answer is that she is his sister because he feared for his life. (v.7). The king of the Philistines figures out that they are really married (v.9), and Isaac gives his reasons for it. Abimiliech sees it as dangerous for him to pursue intimacy with another man’s wife and suffer the consequences (v.10). The pagan man then properly warns his people about bringing about any problems with Isaac and Rebeckah.
This passage is very similar to previous passages describing Abraham’s interaction with the pagan people around him. You can find these passages in Genesis_12:10-14 and Genesis_20:1-4.
We can learn a couple of lessons from this passage:
- Sexual Intimacy is to be confined to marriage, and there are consequences when it is not confined to that relationship.
- Our sins have consequences for us, but they also can be repeated in subsequent generations. We must be careful because our kids are watching.
- God desires obedience.
Lord God, please help me to be careful to obey you, and to encourage obedience and faith in my children. Amen